We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Monday, July 5

Utah Damages (6/28 - 7/1)

So I mentioned in my previous post, most of my expenses were covered by work, but there were a couple of things that I covered myself/purchased.
  • $10 - Tip to the shuttle driver who picked me up at the airport  (He's originally from Nigeria, used to live in Boston, and his wife wants to move back to Boston...she's not so much a fan of Salt Lake City. Also, he does not ski, regardless of the fact that he lives in ski country.)
  • $1.71 - McDonalds (should have been an iced coffee but they gave me hot coffee instead and I didn't feel like arguing)
  • $9.98 - Urban Outfitters (cute tank top)
All in all it's been a very low cost trip AND I made some very keen and interesting observations...
  • Jay walking is an art only practiced on the east coast
  • You will be looked at like you are insane if you jay walk
  • The crowd at an environmental conference allows for endless amounts of people watching
  • Being a vegetarian in Salt Lake City is difficult at times (this is cow country)
  • Their roads are far too wide for the low volume of traffic they enjoy
  • There is far too much parking 
  • Many of the homeless are much more aggressive than their Boston counterparts (i.e. approaching you as you eat your lunch outdoors, or telling old women they should look him in the eyes...don't you worry after hearing him say that I made sure to look him dead in the eye as I told him no and to have a fabulous day...if you want money/food be nice or you get nothing!)
  • Mormons are an intense bunch, who seem to travel in packs
  • Mormons are excellent gardeners and thoroughly enjoy well manicured flower beds... at least that's the feel I got from Temple Square
  • Brigham Young is a mini celebrity
  • Encountering multiple weddings on a Tuesday afternoon is not out of the question at the Mormon Church
  • You can expect to be greeted repeatedly by young Mormons
  • Olympic Park is really just a very nice outdoor mall with a couple of bronze statues of athletes and a water park area where children freak out about jets of water
  • Salt Lake City is a clean city (most notably in the area surrounding the Mormon Temple Square)
  • The mountains surrounding the city are breathtaking

No comments: