We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Wednesday, August 18

Food for Thought

Holy relevant Batman.

The NY Time recently published an article on whether or not our purchases will make us happy. I for one, think NO...hence this little blog here. What are your thoughts?

"New studies of consumption and happiness show, for instance, that people are happier when they spend money on experiences instead of material objects, when they relish what they plan to buy long before they buy it, and when they stop trying to outdo the Joneses"

Here, here! I am all for spending money on experiences, and looking back at a lot of my big purchases since I started this blog, a lot of my purchases have been on just that. Granted I lump eating at new restaurants and going out with friends as an experience, so maybe I'm not quite interpreting that quite right?

Thanks to Agatha for sending me this article.

No comments: