We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Tuesday, January 4

Exciting Additions

This weekend was a weekend of shopping....shocking I know. BUT what you don't know is that a lot of the purchases were what I consider to be purchases of conscious consumer. The lesser of these acquisitions was that of the ornament organizer and shoe rack from the Container Store. Both of these items were made in the USA, which I mentioned in my earlier post. I was pretty shocked by this, I mean even Rubbermaid is made over in China now! I just sort of assume at this point that anything plastic isn't made in the US, so it was a nice surprise when I checked and our Container Store purchases were domestically  made.


Another exciting purchase was our new Palm Restaurant butcher block/wine rack/utility table thing. I have no idea what to call this thing, I just know that I love it. We got it at Homegoods on sale for $400, a huge markdown for it's original price of $1,000. It's made from sustainably harvested wood all of which was grown in the northeast...so as far as wood products, that's about as sustainable as it gets aside from going out back, chopping down your own tree and trying to build the damn thing yourself as far as I'm concerned.

So you might be saying, okay so it was made sustainably, but did you really need it? Well the answer is, sort of. We were in need of a bit more counter space and I wanted a place for my fancy new Kitchen Aid mixer to live. So you can see that it was clearly a quasi-necessary purchase.


This isn't exactly what ours looks like, but it gives you an idea. Ours has a top drawer with a wooden handle, no cutting board or knife holder, and instead of the bottom shelf it has three open wine racks that pull in and out and a glass hanger to store glassware. It's freed up quite a bit of space in our cabinets, given the mixer and the booze a place to call home, and is also storing all wine/booze related accessories as well as all of my baking gizmos. Fabulous.

No comments: