We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Sunday, February 21

Imminent Purchase...

The time has come to buy a new pair of hiking boots. My last pair made it a solid 10 years, not a bad run. My hopes for my new boots will be to live up to their predecessor, a pair of Garmont Flashes. 

Currently in the running are the Asolo Styngers.
The drawback is that they don't have vibram soles, which makes me nervous that they're going to be slippery, particularly on wet surfaces. As Kiki can tell you I have a history of falling on slippery surfaces...repeatedly. Also, one of the reviews said the adhesive they use to glue the soles to the boot doesn't hold up well in high temperatures and I'll be wearing these in the desert in Nevada.

The other choice is the Scarpa Kailash.
 
One of the reviews said the lace loops are plastic, makes me nervous that they'll break. Drawback...the color. They going to start to look pretty rough, pretty quickly. But ehh, who really cares what they look like so long as they're comfortable and keep my feet dry.

Both good brands, comparable features and good reviews. Right now I'm leaning towards the Scarpas though. They're a little lighter and they have Vibram soles, which I enjoy.

2 comments:

nyodice said...

And the cost of these lovely boots???

Jack Skellington said...

Asolo - $195
Scarpa - $185

Par for the course. Also it's worth noting that I have a $75 gift card to REI, which I received from my brother for my birthday.