We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Thursday, May 13

Thursday's Daily Damage (5/13)

Thursday
  • $5.29 - Russo's (Salad for lunch)
  • $3.15 - Target (Sugar for the afternoon)
  • $15 - RueLaLa (ticket to event at their headquarters)...
A fabulous friend of mine (Hilary) who knows of my deep love for a deal and consequently RueLaLa invited me to this BU alumni event at the LaLa's headquarters in Boston.


Boston University


Rue La La
The Business of E-Commerce and Fashion

Presentation and Reception with
CEO Ben Fischman (COM'96)
and Manager of Credit and Financial Operations
Jeremy Zizmor (SMG'97)
Hosted by the School of Management
Alumni Network Committee
Thursday, May 13, 2010
6 – 8 p.m.
Rue La La
20 Channel Center

Boston, MA 02110
Pre-registration required.
A retail revolution is underway. Come join your fellow SMG and COM alumni at Rue La La’s headquarters for a presentation and reception. Get a peek behind the scenes at this emporium of style and hear from dynamic CEO Ben Fischman about how Rue La La is the leading charge in transforming online retail with an innovative, high-growth business model that is changing everything you might think about shopping.
$15 ticket, drinks and appetizers will be served.
Please register here by Monday, May 10th. Contact Hannah Gathman at 617-353-5618 or hgathman@bu.edu with any questions.
Learn more about Rue La La: http://alumni.bu.edu/links/link.cgi?l=1259478&h=3590980&e=BUAR-20100420163724.
If you are unable to attend this event but still want to learn how you can support Boston University and take part in The Cohen Challenge, please visit: www.bu.edu/doubleit.
Boston UniversityBU Alumni Association
alumni@bu.edu
bu.edu/alumni
 It was pretty much a talk from their CEO on their business strategy and how they got to where they are today. Highly informative and actually quite interesting, very well spoken guy! I know that you probably find this shocking seeing as how I am but a lowly environmental scientist that really doesn't know much about business, but it was quite interesting. Granted I still found myself standing there with a pit in my stomach for a lot of it. I mean they're selling the idea of consumerism in its most extravagant form...the sale of luxury items (all WANTS not NEEDS). Please don't get me wrong I LOVE this website, as you have all come to realize, but I still have a hard time getting past the fact that this stuff is largely if not entirely necessary in our daily lives yet we feel that we NEED it. At least I know I do, hence the blog!

So I had all these really great questions in my mind to ask the CEO during his Q&A segment, and I totally chickened out. BUT I did muster up the courage to ask one of the lovely Rue La La representatives that we were chatting with afterwards, and here's how it went down...


Me: Do you take into account any other than the actual merchandise that you're purchasing for the boutiques? Such as the source of the product? For example if it was manufactured in a "free trade zone" or if the company producing it has a history of social injustices and unfair treatment of their workers?

La La Rep: I am actually not sure....
(She then smoothly pulled in a gentleman from merchandising who actually tried to answer my question)

Me: Repeated my question

Other La La Rep: Some long explanation, but to sum it up...
Their image is very important to them and therefore the images of the brands they do business with is also very important to them.

Me: Okay so let's say Nike wants to hold a boutique? Is that a company that you would be willing to do business with, even though they have a thoroughly muddied reputation of exploiting their employees?

La La Rep: It is something that would definitely be discussed but what it all comes down to is if it makes financial sense (in summary).

Me: Sigh. Yes, well it always seems to come down to the dollar and cents, even though it shouldn't always.

Rep: Agreed...and then seemed uncomfortable.
(Then politely excused himself and ran away...literally retreated from the party entirely. I couldn't tell if he just went back to his desk or ducked out of an emergency exit, it was hard to say from my angle)

Other suggestions I threw out there...
  • offering a carbon offset for shipping
  • offering a "green" shopping day where eco-friendly merchandise if featured.
I know it sounds like I kinda attacked them, but really I didn't. It was very much a conversation and not at all hostile, even though the guy kinda ran away. I think he just wasn't so much expecting my question and wasn't sure how to answer it. He was honest though and I appreciated that.

If I had another change I would ask the CEO, it would have been eye opening for a lot of the people in the room, employees and otherwise. Or at least I hope it would be because clearly I was the ONLY "treehugger" (for lack of a better term, although I don't always love that label, it's very misleading) in a mass of business people, most of which were more interested in the recent buy out of Rue La La by some larger corporation (sigh), how they decided on 11AM for their boutique release time and their projected rate of growth.  Soooo not my language...I was more wondering if they used soy based inks on their receipt jackets and if their boxes are made with post-consumer waste.

Anyways, I didn't walk away from the event empty handed. Not only did I learn a lot about the company but I also got a metal water bottle and a $25 credit towards a future purchase on the La La. OH and I got some insider information...
  1. They are rolling out more mobile shopping applications (for other devises other than the iPhone);
  2. Employees call it "RUE," not "The La La" as I affectionately call it;
  3. The site will be "neutralized" making it more appealing to both sexes; and
  4. They have very nice/open offices in Boston, and seems like a great place to work.

No comments: