We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Sunday, June 20

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends...

Seriously.

Tonight was a night full of temptations. There was a Sunday night "Styleathon" on the La La. Obviously this is a seriously pot of temptations for me, but I managed to resist. I can't take all the credit though, I don't know that I would have had the strength if I hadn't just read an email from an old friend from the 'Noke, who I haven't talked to in FAR to long. Well she came across my blog and emailed me a pretty amazing story, which I would like to share with all of you (in a slightly paraphrased version)...

She and her fiance recently moved their lives out to CA. You can imagine the scene, their entire lives packed into a UHaul being dragged behind their car. As most of us would do, they took the opportunity to see friend along their journey and after crashing at a friends house they were confronted with a harsh reality when their friend told them...

'hey guys, i hate to say it, but i think your car has been towed.' the car, and the u-haul, were gone from the street. we called the local police dept., towing companies, etc., with no luck. we slowly became aware of what had happened.......... everything we owned was stolen. we had what we were wearing and our cell phones (unfortunately, we had left our wallets in the car, too, as it was basically in our friends' driveway and our guard was totally down).

we immediately concluded that all we needed was each other :) and started putting our material lives back together. and 2 weeks later we moved into our new apt. with two duffels of donated clothes, a 30 rack of budweiser, and a bottle of champagne - easiest move in ever!

there are some moments when i'm like "dammit! i just want my favorite __ back!", but overall, we have replaced very little, and have done some tracking of overall spending, etc., in order to keep a handle on what the theft's cost was to us and our families.



Holy crap. Intense, amazing, inspiring. Love the addition of bud and champagne for your move in, because let's face it...no matter how much stuff needs to be moved, you need a drink to make the move official. It's law.

Thanks for the story Jen, it was a great reminder of why I'm tracking my spending for the year! AND it helped me stave off the drive to purchase any of these items (did you guys really think I could resist sharing my temptations with you? come on now!)...

$25 from $58. Zohba Boutique on the La La. 

 $25 from $56. Zohba Boutique on the La La. 

$25 from $64. Zohba on the La La.

$45 from $128. Calvin Klein on the La La.

$45 from $128. Calvin Klein on the La La. 

 $35 from $99. Michael Kors on the La La.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) - Jen