We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Tuesday, June 1

Manic May

Total: $1,528

Housewares: $571 (remember those hardwoods?)
Gifts: $283
Gas: $164
Bars/Restaurants: $154
Health & Beauty: $90
Shoes: $85
Randomness: $65
Groceries: $46
Snackages: $22
Travel: $20
Entertainment: $15
Coffee: $12
Clothing: $0 (the sole $0 category of the month)

Seriously, I am failing at this whole scaling back thing. FAILING! It's quite disheartening to be honest. I promised myself that I would follow through with this resolution though, so I can't stop now. I mean, even if I fail at being a more conscious consumer at least I can keep my resolution to call myself out on mindlessly shopping.

Although, I suppose all is not lost. I mean, I have made some more responsible decisions about where I've been spending my money, even though I seem to be spending every last penny of it. The hardwoods were bought from a local store, my groceries (even though there were very little of them) were purchased at a local grocery store, and some of the random items that I purchased, like the toy toy and treats for the pups were bought from a local doggy boutique instead of Pet Co. or Pet Smart...PLUS a lot of my dough was spent on gifts for others this month, just as a side note.

Sigh, here's hoping that June goes a little better for my bank account.

No comments: