We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Tuesday, October 5

The Greek Lowdown

 So I should start this post by telling you that there's just absolutely no way I am going to account for every penny I spent in Greece. It's just way to much work and I have neither the time nor patience for such an undertaking. Suffice it to say I did a healthy amount of shopping and a healthier amount of eating while in Greece.

Here are some of the highlight purchases...
  • Many, many, many paintings (presents for Aaron and I, family and some friends)
  • Ouzo (booze for the brother)
  • Jewelry (for myself and family)
  • Olive oils soap (presents for my mom, aunt, and nan)
  • T-shirts (for me, and my dad)
As for the food....delicious. Did you know that you could get a vegetarian gyro! Holy hell is it delicious. Also, they put french fries in the gyros in Greece. Genius.

 Sunset in Naxos.

Some other interesting tidbits I picked up on while I was gallivanting about...
  • There isn't any lettuce in a greek salad in greece. Just cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, feta, olives, and capers (sometimes)
  • Feta is so much more delicious in Greece
  • Sea-band bracelets are a savior for anyone who gets seasick
  • Baklava isn't all that prevalent 
  • Stray dogs and cats are everywhere (cue me wanting to adopt each and every one of them...one special pup in particular, who we named "Big Megs." If I could have figured out a way to get her through customs she'd be in the U.S. right now)
  • There's an ungodly amount of graffiti covering every surface other than protected ruins in Athens
  • My fear of fish runs deep
  • The London Heathrow Airport is the most miserable airport in the world, which I will avoid like the plague from this day forward.

No comments: