We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Friday, October 22

Thursday & Friday Damages (10/21 - 10/22)

Thursday
  • $0
Friday
  • $17.60 - USPS (stamps...I know, try to contain your excitement)
  • $10.00 - Town of Natick (dog license)
On a totally unrelated note...I dislike dog haters. Actually, more like HATE.

A woman in the condo complex told me today on her way from her car to her building that "we don't really have dogs running around in the grass here hon ( I should note that calling me hon immediately incites anger and you will not get a nice response from me), that's where kids play." Clearly not a dog lover. All Maggie was doing was playing with a stick AND she was no where near this woman and was on a leash. I chose to ignore her. Well actually, first I asked her if she was serious and if she had looked around at the number of dogs that live here...and then turned around and continue to play with Maggie. She apparently went inside and immediately called property management on me.

John, the property manager, who clearly wasn't excited to relay this shrews message, came out (literally immediately) to talk to me. The conversation went something like this.

John: Do you live here?
Me: Yes, do you?
John: I'm the property manager. So, technically we don't allow dogs, and they shouldn't be on the green spaces. 
Me: Seriously, you are aware that there are a ton of dogs living in this complex.
John: Yes, I know. I'm sorry. I have a golden retriever (you could see his annoyance at having to tell me to stop my dog from having fun at this point, but that wretched beast was probably peering out from behind her blinds watching him).
Me: Okay, so let me get this straight. As long as the dogs aren't in the "old peoples" way and have no fun in any way shape or form, we're good. 
John: Yeah, pretty much. 
Me: Fascinating and completely ridiculous. (Laughed and walked away as I talked to Maggie about going home to stare at the wall and stay out of the old peoples' way)

I ran into this problem at my condo complex in FL when I lived down there, over and over again. I have to say it wore on me, and towards the end it was literally outright war with some people. I don't see this ending well for this woman. Guess who's building we'll be walking Maggie around and around and around! Next time mind ya business lady.

Why do some older folk hate fun? Any and all theories are welcome.

No comments: