We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Monday, October 25

Weekend Damages (10/23 - 10/24)

Saturday
  • $80 - Birthday Cash to Aaron's brothers (one of them got his a couple of months late...par for the course with me)
Sunday
  • $0
While I didn't really spend all that much this weekend, I was incredibly busy! Maggie took her first trip to western mass and met Aaron's family, which went very well aside from her barking at his aunt...who is kinda scared of dogs. AND I cooked/baked up a storm this weekend! I have to say I'm pretty impressed with myself.

Here's what I made...corn chowder (time to use up the endless ears of corn that I've been cutting the kernels off of and freezing), homemade veggie soup (used up the cabbage, corn and other easily accessible veggies), cookies-n-cream cupcakes (I am completely obsessed with cupcakes these days), and homemade dog treats (peanut butter flavor).

These little cheesecake nuggets of deliciousness are definitely added to the "bake again" list. 

You're probably wondering why I would take the time to make dog treats from scratch, so let me explain. First off, dog treats are expensive and making them yourself is super easy and way cheaper. Second, I can't pronounce half of the ingredients in an ordinary box of dog treats, which is concerning. And thirdly, it really doesn't take all that much time or effort, particularly when you just cut them into squares with a pizza slicer. While the little dog bone shape is adorable and does make it obvious that they're not for human consumption (not that it would hurt you), it takes way too much time and really the dog could care less what shape they are. So really it's a no brainer. Save money, and know that you're not pumping your pup full of preservatives.

Just in case you want to make them yourselves, here's the easiest recipe I've found...and the pups seem to enjoy it. 

Peanut Butter Poppers

2 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup of Milk
1 cup of Peanut Butter
1 tbsp of Baking Powder

Mix dry ingredients together and in separate bowl mix together wet ingredients. Add wet to dry. Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut into desired shape. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes on 375. 
(I just throw it all in bowl, none of this wet to dry nonsense. I also don't bother greasing the sheet. I know I'm not the best at following directions, but whatever, it works).

Easy-peasy!

No comments: