We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Sunday, April 25

Weekend Damage (4/24 - 4/25)

Saturday
  • $5.03 - Dunks 
  • $36.61 - Roche Brothers
  • $20.23 - CVS
So once again I walked out of CVS with a pile of greeting cards. I went in to buy wrapping paper and a card for Aaron's birthday, but am incapable of only buying one card at a time. Instead, I bought five. Maybe I should work for a greeting card company? Court and I had once dreamed of opening up our own greeting card business, sadly it never got off the ground.

Here's a taste of what we had to offer....

Front:
A picture of a girl eating a candy bar


Inside:
Congratulations on beating anorexia.

Impressive, I know. Not sure our style is really for everyone, but I think we could have found a niche market.
    Sunday
    • $10 - Roche Brothers 
      • food coloring (which I already had but forgot)
      • cookie batter (pre-made, I know...lame...just not feeling making batter from scratch, no time these days, or motivation for that matter)
      • organic vanilla extract
    • $26.51 - Bed Bath and Beyond 
      • random baking accouterments (I'm going to make some sweet sugar cookies decorated with corporate logos on them for my presentation on Corporate Accountability International on Thursday...I find that my grades increases dramatically when I provide tasty snacks)
    • $26.43 - Home Depot
      • hardwood floor cleaner (Aaron had to get some underlay stuff for the new hardwoods that are going in next weekend...WOOHOO...and I decided we should probably have some way to clean said hardwoods)
    Side note on the hardwoods: I was able to convince Aaron that he should purchase his new hardwood floors from somewhere local, instead of fueling the beast that is Home Depot. It took some research, field trips and whining but he agreed. I have to say though, it was the biggest pain ever. The first place we went came back at damn near triple the price of Home Depot and the woman took FOREVER to get a price and get back to us. So we found another local joint, which was far more responsive but still far from perfect. But all is said and done now, the floors are being delivered on Monday and will be installed by Aaron, his step-dad and one of his little brothers next weekend. Considering they do cost quite a bit more than the Home Depot floors I will be paying for a portion of the floors. It's only fair.

    Other weekend news...I managed to break my vacuum. I have no idea how I managed it. I just pulled it around the corner and it got stuck, so I gave it a yank like I always do and crack, snapple, pop....the thing busted. So irritating. Luckily it was given to me by my grandmother, so I mean at least I didn't pay for it, but still now I suppose I need to get a new one.
    While I would love to be able to buy one of the coveted Dyson dream machines, I just don't really see this fitting into my budget. Sad.

      2 comments:

      Agatha said...

      We have that dyson and it is magical.

      Agatha said...

      We have that dyson and it is magical.