We are told over and over again that Shopping = Stuff = Happiness. But does it really? Should it?
I for one just don't buy it...hence this blog following my quest to overcome my shopaholic tendencies to become a more conscious and sustainable consumer.


Sunday, March 7

Frantic February Wrap-up

The moment you've all been waiting for....the monthly tally.
Total - $997 (EEK)

The Breakdown (highest to lowest)...
  • Shoes - $240 (remember that I bought hiking boots this month!)
  • Random crap - $212.30 (the largest items in this category were filing fees for my taxes and my ski helmet)
  • Gasoline - $136.29
  • Health & Beauty - $105.34
  • Groceries - $71.91
  • Gifts - $64.60
  • Snacks - $34.97
  • Coffee - $15.64
Okay, so this is a bit higher than I was anticipating. Granted I had a little extra cash to play with this month because I got my tax return, which paid off one of my credit cards (super exciting) so that was one less bill to pay, and I also had some birthday money at my disposal. Regardless, to spend almost $1,000 in a month on random stuff is absolutely ridiculous.

I have a little spreadsheet (yes, I said spreadsheet...I know, I'm pretty impressed with myself as well) to record what I spend my money on and I have to say that when looking at the numbers...I have no idea what I bought in quite a few cases. I mean, I spent more on health and beauty products than I did on food! Although, the amount of money Aaron spends on food should probably be factored into this equation...but that's just too much work, so sorry for ya, it's not going to happen. I mean who has time for that.

So in closing, clearly I need to pay attention to the accumulative tally this month. Here's to exercising more control in the month of March!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I just have to say I am very impressed you are using a spreadsheet. If you need to know how to make charts and graphs let me know...haha.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to think that Aaron's rubbing off on you with all this budgeting and keeping track of your money stuff. It's very unbecoming of a lady (and way less fun for me!)

Jack Skellington said...

Fear not, for I am horrible at budgeting...hence the need to eat white rice and frozen vegetables for lunch/dinner consistently.